Uploaded By: Derek Keats
- Slide 1 - Towards an Agile Enterprise Architecture for Wits In the context of the new AcademicInformation Management System (AIMS) programme
- Slide 2 - Brief history Mainframe → oracle Financial austerity “Saving the institution” This is NOT about Oracle! Not even Oracle Student System...
- Slide 3 - Confronting our brutal facts Wits currently has very little governance regarding implementation of IT supported processes, IT projects, or IT acquisition within the various silos of the institution This results in Mismatch between institutional process and IT tools Mismatch between expectations within institutional silos and what we can support Data islands, data amoebae, data corruption 'Projects' that slip through the cracks Operations managed as projects Projects managed as operations Wasting of financial and human resources Many things being done repeatedly Almost no support for academic computing beyond 'shared-by-all' services
- Slide 6 - What is the institution?
- Slide 7 - Reality for many institutions?
- Slide 8 - Our fundamental energy?
- Slide 9 - We are a complex system!
- Slide 10 - Silos in the institution (Wits)
- Slide 11 - Silos in the institution
- Slide 12 - Silos in the institution
- Slide 13 - Silos in the institution
- Slide 14 - Federated system
- Slide 16 - Agile EA
- Slide 17 - For the Wits, EA includes Architecture of institutional processes Including their federated, autonomous & uncertain components Processes and governance mechanisms for integration across silos, taking our complexity into consideration In line with existing governance mechanisms Aligned to the institution, not the other way around Application architecture aligned to our aspirations as a top higher education institution (2010 strategy) Including leveraging our own potential for innovation (TIPS) Technology architecture that is aligned to the application architecture Leading edge practice, managed risk
- Slide 19 - EA as steps or concurrent channels Executive and management buy-in to the concept (done) Development of EA strategy (in progress) Build EA into organization and governance (design done, testing with two programmes) Provide for monitoring mechanisms (to do) e.g. Maturity model and scorecard Create and align roles and responsibilities (programme / project basis) Marketing and communications plan (to do) Implementation through programmes and projects (started)
- Slide 22 - Programmes & projects Academic information system (successor to current student information system) [programme] Institutional process and data quality improvement [programme] Wits portal [project]
- Slide 23 - This is just anexample
- Slide 24 - Which approach?
- Slide 25 - Which approach
- Slide 26 - This is just anexample
- Slide 28 - Academic & research support Create an academic and research computing section in CNS Manager, project manager, admin support funded centrally Services provided by additional staff based on cost-recovery Technical cost recovery e.g. shared hosting solutions
- Slide 29 - Getting this and other presentations http://presentations.wits.ac.za Also, upload and contribute your own presentations to this library We are trying to be as open as possible, so information will be available on http://kim.wits.ac.za I often blog about things to get thoughts and discussion http://kim.wits.ac.za/dvcblog (leave your feedback!) Wits login works on all our sites...